Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Gales of November and Other Storms

Well they didn’t come early, but the tornados came late. The first real snow was early and Sunburst Ski Hill, home of an annual WORS race had made their snow and were opening. Then record highs, thunder, lightning and the unthinkable. The Midwest has some suffering to endure and many may still be without a home over the Holidays.

DSCN4455The snow is beautiful however. Thanksgiving is next week. My parents invited everyone to a restaurant for Thanksgiving. I told my mom we would bring the green bean casserole. Thanksgiving should be about sharing good humor and good food with family, not shopping. Talk about a storm…

Yes, the Packers are plating, we hope, the Lions on Thanksgiving. We should be tied for first place right now, but I guess the NFL wanted a three-way tie in the North Division some two weeks ago because the refs gave the game to Chicago and no one will speak up about it. I saw many a big Chicago play where holding should have been called. I don’t know what game the talking heads were watching. I saw an arm wrapped around the neck of one of our lineman. Then and obvious chop block in view of the whole world. Both were on big third down plays. I believe three penalties were called in the entire game. Is the NFL going the way of wrestling?

Wisconsin Minnesota rivalries are the theme for this coming weekend. Sunday the Packers play those losing Vikings. Saturday our respective State Universities go at it for possession of Paul Bunyan’s Ax. I heard that before the ax they competed for a slab of bacon. It’s true. The good old days were better.

DSCN4458Food will most likely be the bulk of our gifts this Christmas. I helped my brother and their three children move. What a hassle. There is not a single thing they need. When we received money for gifts when we were kids it went into the bank. Now my nieces and nephews thank us and write they can’t wait to go shopping. At least they are still writing real letters.

There are only a few things we need and they relate to fixing up our home. Afterwards we can think about new furniture, bikes or trainers, or going skiing. My used trainer will, will have to, suffice for this Winter. My weight is inching down. Let’s see if the trainer will make a difference over the Holidays.

The $44 question: What was the name of my first bowling ball? See Charity Jackpot page in sidebar.

No comments: