Thursday, September 9, 2010

Ladders

I didn't get up on the roof Tuesday due to high winds, gusts up to 50mph. Nor did I go on the, again, supposedly last Odd Tuesday Ride since I had no car and it was at Crystal Ridge. And I had neither the car nor the energy to go to the Wednesday Night Race/Time Trial, having worked on the roof much of the day and picking peaches as well as getting to the gym. Getting out the big ladder for the roof work and the step ladder to harvest the peaches. So it has been up and down the ladders and it will be again today, though I start my day with a bit of writing. (I'll be lucky to have the second proof of my book in the mail by the 15th, the first hopefully going out today, but I'm hoping the second will go to market.)


Yes, winds and cool weather make it feel like autumn but I'm sure we'll get a few more hot days. I'll be picking peaches the next couple days and have to process them some how. The morning glories covering our fence have invaded the peach tree. The cucumbers are starting to die back. Not the best looking in the picture but we have a few prime cucumbers still on the vine. The peppers are done. This is the best month of the year to get some new grass in. I have at least three types of grass growing throughout my lawn and only one meets my approval.


M-O-N-E-Y as the Lady Gaga song goes. We took some 400lbs of iron along with some other scrap for a fistful of dollars and then I took in our change jar to fill the other fist. Money to work on the house with. And looking at my roof is pretty disheartening. Then looking back in my wallet just that much more disheartening. Needless to say I don't think I'll be putting out any cash to race my favorite venue, the ski hill at the Grand Geneva Resort, Treadfest. An always fantastic event organized by the  FATKATS. But I hope to go to take pictures. I should get my Alterra pictures up on Flick'r before then. If the book actually generates sales maybe I'll put out for the last and final event, the Wigwam Ultimax, just to show my rivals how they measure up. Yes, I am finding time to ride.


A trip to Menard's took a chunk of cash and then I have to keep making runs for materials per the demands of the job. I should get my road bike fixed also. Emery's is having a September clearance sale. Specially marked items were marked 21% off September 1st and last year's merchandise 11% off, and each day that increases by 1%, 50% off by the 30th. I have seen the bikes hanging a bit thicker from their rafters in the past but they still seem to have quite a few bikes. The economy is tough everywhere. I saw two mountain bikes well under $1,000 that would be great bikes to race with. Not really high end but perfectly capable of holding up season after season. Upgrade the pedals, get the shoes, helmet and maybe some clothing and it could easily go $1,200.

For the holiday we went to the Redbox and got "The Book of Eli." A really good movie. When the movie came out I wasn't really attracted by what looked to be another bloody movie but it was very good. It looked like some scenes were cut but I'm sure if you purchase the movie you will get the full uncut version. I actually had to watch it a second time. Good Movie. Buy it here!

Time to pull out the ladders.

No comments: