Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Miller Lite Ride for the Arts and Such

It's that time of year again. They were looking for volunteers at last nights Metro Mountain Bikers meeting. I have yet to offer my services but will give it some thought. Nothing like a free T-shirt. And they are selling neat jerseys if you want to contribute that way. In the past it always conflicted with my schedule.

Lots of fundraisers this time of year. People investing their time and resources for worthy causes. I talked to the 'Beer Man' sometime back about getting some bike people together to shoot some sporting clays and contemplate the potential for the new sport I created. Not the best written piece but one of the benefits of blogging is an improvement of your communication skills. I recommend it for everyone, even if no one reads your blog. My sport may work better in a cyclocross format. The 'Beer Man' said bike people are too anti-gun to go for such an amusement. (You may be thinking the opening and meat of this paragraph don't mesh) Then I got this e-mail from the MTB server for another fundraiser for the leukemia and Lymphoma Society. The topic of the e-mail was the sale of raffle tickets. One of the prizes being a Remington R-15 .223 Tactical Rifle with pistol grip and sweet camo pattern. An item in short supply since Obama was elected.

Which reminds me that I need to call the doctor. I've been playing phone tag for a couple days now. I heard a report that participating in a Triathlon increases your chance of sudden death. I just read yesterday that your resting heart rate is a determinant of possible heart disease. 62bpm being the magic number. I have to wonder how much money the government spent on those studies when they could have just called me.

Looking forward to Iola. Haven't ridden as much as I would have liked but working on the house and the yard kept me from loosing much of my past gains. Went out for 2-1/2 hours yesterday, road and trails, with a quick stop at Emery's to pick up a spare tube. Then I topped that off with going straight into over an hour of yard work. The workout put me at ease as I am looking to participate in my first Sport race Sunday.

$5.80 including tax seemed a pretty good price for a tube. Emery's is having a sale where Trek is offering twelve month free financing on their more expensive bikes and they told me they have three or six month financing all year round on any purchase over $250. If I knew that I might have gone for a trainer this past year, but looking at our finances it is probably better that I didn't.

My back tire, my old front tire, has been slipping despite still holding some substantial tread. The new front tire rides well. I will race Iola with the old tire on the back and put on the new one afterwards. Don't want to be racing new gear without some time to adapt to it. I'll see if I notice any difference in the slippage to contemplate the value of keeping your tires fresh. First hand experience being the best teacher.

Another topic of last nights meeting was Governor Doyle's addition to the budget of holding organizations 100% liable if they are even 1% responsible for an accident. It jeopardizes almost every activity across the state with the 'Beer Man' claiming all marginal ski resorts, including Crystal Ridge, will be closing with the higher insurance costs the new law will create. Even many cycling events may be done for. Fortunately WORS as part of USA Cycling has a larger participant pool, nation wide, to deffer some of the risk. At least that is what we all hope.

No comments: